Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Closed path does not reliably create a face

val_schmidtval_schmidt Member Posts: 7 EDU
I've been following the tutorial and created this sketch:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58cd1b8f3db3a90f77dfee79/w/bc1a114e2d4c3a8151ff8c5b/e/b992bd9f829087ea71493017

But the lower left line tangent to the two circles is not creating a face (the area inside is not gray), and I cannot figure out why. 

Anyone know why?
Thanks,
Val

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I fixed it. There was a horizontal line constraint on the line in question with the circle. I don't even know what that would mean, but it ultimately causes constraint conflicts through the drawing and didn't create a face in the interior region. Thanks for your help. Really helpful to have someone to bounce ideas off. Thanks!!!

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just deleted those line, made a new one and it recognized the contour
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I did this initially and just tried a second time. Although it is initially gray, when I add constraints that the line should be tangent to the two circles, the gray disappears. I'm not sure why.
  • Options
    It's certainly gray in your sketch. But your sketch does not have the same constraints. I have to admit, I don't exactly understand the "coincident" constraint, which seems to come up a lot and exists for several of the lines that should be tangent in your sketch. I wonder if, either by design, or a bug, removing the coincident constraint and adding tangent constraints somehow "opens" what should be a closed path and a gray face.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I fixed it. There was a horizontal line constraint on the line in question with the circle. I don't even know what that would mean, but it ultimately causes constraint conflicts through the drawing and didn't create a face in the interior region. Thanks for your help. Really helpful to have someone to bounce ideas off. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @val_schmid "coinsident" in this case means that end point of line lies on a circle, I justd noticed that in your sketch you
    don't use it, so the cketch is not fully defined and the contour is not closed.