Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Complex assembly with fixed parts has become misaligned with the origin and XYZ axes.

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
When I built this assembly, I was careful to fix the frame with respect to the origin and align it with the XYZ axes before using mates to add literally hundreds of other parts and sub-assemblies.  However, somehow, it is now rotated a fraction of a degree about the Z axis and displaced 100 mm or so from the origin.  The frame still shows being "Fixed" and the added parts appear to be correctly mated relative to each other.

Short of building the entire assembly again from scratch, (two days work) what can I do to get it aligned again?

Answers

• bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Premature post...
    I would link the assembly but I have removed the fixes attempting to get it realigned.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you may place mate connector in part studio to the origin and attach it to the part you want to fix, then in assembly place mate connector to the assembly origin and add the fastened mate between them
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I tried many approaches using mate connectors but none worked - they just made the mis-alignment worse.  I had to re-create the master assembly - this time fixing parts as I went.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Roll back in history to see when it was moved and then figure out why.
    //rami