Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting Simple DWG/DXF Model For Laser Cutting

richard_worshamrichard_worsham Member Posts: 6 PRO
Hello, I work closely with a local laser cutting shop on 300+ laser pieces for our company. We have been using 2D cad and sending them the file with a renamed version for each revision. We update our files frequently and this system has worked well, however, I am interested in transitioning fully to OnShape. Is there a way to export a file with just the 2D part geometry? They have no use for the paper space and use their own nesting program. Thanks for your feedback. -Richard

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited March 2017
    In a part studio, you can right click on a flat face and directly export out a clean dxf of just that face profile. If you are exporting out a sheet metal flat pattern, today you can create a top view drawing of it. In the drawing dialog select to do a custom template and do not include the border or titleblock. From there you can export out as a dxf not worry about the paper space.

dxf
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    Very much appreciated! My next question is sort of a follow-up and maybe a bit more in line with you all's intent with the software: how can I integrate what I'm doing with the laser cutting vender to "share" my files with them so they always have the most up-to-date version? Would they have to be running OnShape? Unfortunately, they run their own specialized software.
  • Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Richard, you could upload the dxf file to a new Onshape doc and share that doc with the manufacturers dreictly. Each time you update the dxf file you could then create a new version for the doc to keep all of the changes organized.

Of course you could always try to convince them to use Onshape so they can generate the dxf themselves  ;).
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Looking into both options. Thanks!