Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best practice of how to manage/organize part variations.

billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 PRO
A good example of this are aluminum extrusions. A design might contain a few different extrusion profiles but many length variants of those same profiles. I've tried many different ways of managing/organizing this but I keep running into roadblocks. I was wondering how others are handling these types of parts (not just extrusions) within their designs.

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I figured out one of my problems. I was selecting the derived feature from the feature list rather than the part from the part list.

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    while still functionality of configurations is not implemented the only way is to use versions of workspaces. or in case of profiles one can create part studio with sketches of different profiles, derive them to the current project, position by mate connector and extrude/sweep, the problem is that text properties of such part would not be inhereted from source part studio
  • Options
    I guess I need to figure out how to actually use derived sketches because I can't seem to do anything with them after deriving them into a part studio.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @billyzelsnack sorry, I just tried and find that transform dont wokrs with sketches, but I somehow thought it does. Then for profiles remains only keep them as short pieces of parts, and after being derived they can be transformed, extruded, sweept and so on. and one more thing for profiles - there exists "Beam" Feature Script - it works like frame generator, but I have no experience with it

• Options
    I've played around with it for an hour and I still can't do anything with derived parts. I obviously am missing something and need to go find the video tutorial.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I figured out one of my problems. I was selecting the derived feature from the feature list rather than the part from the part list.
  • Options
    florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭