Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

FeatureScript: Query imported geometry

leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
I am trying to figure out how to refer to any geometry of a feature that has been imported into a PS through FeatureScript.
(Import is done using either opMergeContext() or importDerived(), not sure which one is preferable).

It is important to me that there is no user selection (feature querying) involved, as I will be doing this many times. 
Here is a simplified example of what I want to do:
  1. Create e.g. some geometry and a reference point in Part Studio 1, using Feature A.
  2. Import (+ mate, transform) in Part Studio 2, using Feature B.
  3. Create geometry based on the reference point in Part Studio 2, using Feature C.
I have created a public test-bench document here: Referencing Testbench
I have tried with getAttributes and querying using qCreatedBy() combined with a variety of Id combinations (I am not sure how "ANY_ID" works, but it seems to be part of the answer).

If anyone has any input that can put me in the right direction, please do have a look at the document and let me know.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 699
    opMergeContext() completely merges other context into this context, as if the feature script of another part studio were executed at this point.  importDerived() wraps the call to Part Studio 1 build() , opDelete call to leave only requested bodies, and opMergeContext(). Use either, depending of what you want to achieve.

If you are calling opMergeContext(context, id + "merge", ..) then qCreatedBy(id + "merge" + "extrude1", ..) will give you entities created by the feature in Part Studio 1 which has id i + "extrude1".

If you know Prat Studio1 content you can use 
    qCreatedBy(id + "merge", ..) in combination with filters.
    Does this make sense? 
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, @lana. That does indeed make sense. However, this only seems to work when qCreatedBy(id + "merge" + "extrude1", ...)  is called after opMergeContext() in the same feature, i.e. Feature B.

Once I try this in Feature C, the query resolves to nothing, since the id differs. That is why I was hoping to be able use ANY_ID, which seems to work as a wildcard. Something like this:
    qCreatedBy(newId() + ANY_ID + "merge" + "extrude1", ...)
    I'm thinking I could use setAttributes in B and getAttributes in C, but I am unsure how these work and I can't find a proper example. The name of the reference is really quite important, as I might have many different reference points in one PS for different functions.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
  • Options
    Thanks again! The combination of setAttributes and qAttributeQuery seems to do the trick for me. I figured it out somewhat clumsily, I'll have a look at the sheet metal examples and see what there is to learn.
    I will certainly look into 
    having the feature as a parameter, that seems like it could be a very neat solution indeed.

Really, FeatureScript is just about the best thing with Onshape,
    the possibilities seem endless once you get the hang of things.