Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

CAD model export problem?

maciekmaciek OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO

Hi, 

Right now I'm machining injection mold and I have a problem. I don't know if it is a problem with machine, CAD or CAM.

This is the CAD shape:

Next thing I'm doing is exporting STEP files to Fusion 360.

Then in Fusion 360 I'm doing CAM. This is the path:

As you can see, the path isn't round. It's made of straight lines and each one is about 5 mm long.

And this is machined result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t5fuSxt4As

Where does it starts? In CAD model? In CAM? Or maybe my milling machine isn't good enough?

I think it can be export problem, when I'm exporting to STEP file.

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Maciek - hello!
    looks like a nice part. 
    I can help you a bit - STEP is a b-rep (boundary representation) format. That means that all edges are analytically defined (by formulas) - all edges are smooth curves by definition. 
    I cannot comment on how Autodesk reads in data or what it does with it or how it machines things. 
    That all said, there are a number of excellent free CAM tools in the Onshape App Store that you could try for a comparison. 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    maciekmaciek OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    Thanks Philip, it is clear to me right now. I made topic like this on Autodesk forum and probably it's CAM problem.