Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best practices for import/export of designs to Thingiverse (and the like)?

preston_bannisterpreston_bannister Member Posts: 6
To be clear, I am a software guy, with a 3D printer (a Chinese clone of the Prusa i3), just starting to play with CAD.

Put one of my designs:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f04b0e50cf88a0679185a4bc/w/e3a87b04fd8a629f03e569b1/e/ab07d0bed0c60519603e32d6

... on Thingiverse: 
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2281755

Not at all convinced as to the proper way to do this. :)

How can/should we import and export designs to these shared sites?

Comments

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience Thingiverse usually caters to files for 3D printers and STL is the proper choice for those folks.  People who do laser cutting would probably prefer DXF files.
  • Options
    billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 PRO
    @preston_bannister Posting both the STL and the onshape link how you have it is the way to go. Congrats on publishing your first 3d model.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I'm always grateful to posters who include STEP files as well as the STL so they can be edited to suit.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @owen_sparks if Preston's model is public, posting the Onshape link will allow someone to copy and edit the part (with full feature history) without ever dealing with files.  STEP is nice (and probably should be included) but I think the Onshape link may be more valuable.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    I'm always grateful to posters who include STEP files as well as the STL so they can be edited to suit.

Owen S.
    marcus_8  did for his Curta calculator.  I'm close to finishing that one once I get the really small parts finished with a DLP printer.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @michael3424, that a fine project sir.  :)

@jakeramsley I agree the OS link would be great publicity for Onshape and of the most benefit to Onshapers.

I think to be of benefit to the most number of users, OS or otherwise, the ultimate would be a Thingverse API that exports your creation in every format that OS supports and adds an OS hyperlink for to the enlightened.  (People who use OS, drink Dr Pepper and drive on the correct side of the road.)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @michael3424, that a fine project sir.  :)

I hope - just a pile of loose parts right now.