Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to select the outer edges of a face?

jock_bananjock_banan Member Posts: 2
Hi! I'm trying to achieve a pretty simple thing, I just can't figure out how. 

I have an object created by extruding a shape with many edges with holes in it, like this dummy one: 

Now i want to chamfer the outer edges of it, not the holes. This is essentially what I want to achieve: 

If I select the face, it will chamfer the holes, so the only possibility is to select the other edges one-by-one. That's not so bad in this case, but I have some much more complex shapes and it gets really annoying for them. So, is there a way to select the outer edges only, all together, or select the face and then deselect some (in this case the inner) edges of it for chamfer/fillet? Thank you!

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Jock - the 10 cent solution is of course to move the feature(s) making the holes below the chamfer. 
    If the locations of the holes are defined from the un-chamfered edges, you can still make the sketch before the chamfer, just move the hole feature below it.
    I am thinking if there is another way.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2017
    On topic, erm sort of, I've on occasion thought it would be easier to select a part as a whole, and then the edges I didn't want the chamfer on...

I recall a demo of featurescript that added a chamfer to all edges of a part.  Presumably with just a query of all edges owned by the target part and a chamfer command.  So could we dig that out, add an extra input field for an "omit these edges" selection and hey presto?

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited May 2017
    @owen_sparks - you are totally right that that would work (and not very hard to write).
    That said, if the number of holes changed (increased) - the new holes would have a chamfer.
    Two potential solutions would be (a) put the hole feature after the chamfer or (b) a custom feature that identified (and chamfered) outside edges only.
    Want to write it? :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @philip_thomas

Good points.  Can't justify the time today but will have a play at the weekend.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd