Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using multiple public parts in an Document

jeremiah_alfreyjeremiah_alfrey Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Community Support
I'm designing a housing which will use a raspberry pi. I have found the pi already in public documents as well as a base that would like to use as a foundation. How do I import them all into a single workspace?

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Jeremiah,

Have you tried the 'Derived part' feature?

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Earlier today, Jake was hit in the head by a very large and heavy object :) 

While derive is a perfectly valid workflow in some instances, it has the significant downside of being very expensive where the parent part studio contains a lot of features (the design of the pi).

A far better workflow would be to either;
    1) Link the pi document into an assembly in your document and then build the housing 'in-context' - or
    2) Export the pi (from the public document) and then import it into your document. You can now design your housing in the same part studio into which the pi was imported.

I hope this helps :)

Philip . . . 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Thanks Philip!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team