Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I weld in during assembly?

andrew_hastings190andrew_hastings190 Member Posts: 4 PRO
Hi,

How do i weld my parts when I have assembled them?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited May 2017
    Hi Andrew,

We do not currently have support for weld graphics, but you can use a fastened mate to attach two parts at a specific location:

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/mate-fastened.htm

If you would like additional support for welds, please raise an improvement request from the menu on the right and describe in more detail what you would like to see in the product.

EDIT: Thanks for the weldments example Philip!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    andrew_hastings190andrew_hastings190 Member Posts: 4 PRO
    So there is no way to show welds?

If the product can't show welds then it is fundamentally flawed - its a huge problem
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @andrew_hastings190  Can you tell me if you are:

1) Working in an assembly studio or part studio and want to see the welds in 3D. (We don't have a weld bead or weld fillet tool yet).

2) Asking about weld symbols in drawings (we're working on them).

3) Something else...
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited May 2017
    I'll play! :)

A weldment is unique in that it is a single part with a part number.
    Here's how to make one with or without weld beads

1) Make an assembly of the individual parts (each has a part number)
    2) Create a brand new Part Studio 'In-Context'
    3) 'Transform' (copy into) the new Part Studio those parts that will become the weldment
    4) Boolean the constituent parts (you now have one new part (the weldment))
    5) Give it a name and a part number
    6) Optionally fillet or chamfer the welded joints to represent a concave or convex welds

Philip :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/590a2ea57be40f0ffec8ebee/w/83a9ff55ae7c041eaf0383f9/e/e8ddf59811c55ad691c5362b

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    erik_bongerserik_bongers Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Since the separate parts may have to be cut or machined, they may need their separate drawings.
    So, Philip's solution seems to be a good one.
    (except for one thing, I just realized. The separate parts may not touch or overlap, in which case a boolean will not work, and will require some fake geometry to be added to make it work.)
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    Since the separate parts may have to be cut or machined, they may need their separate drawings.
    So, Philip's solution seems to be a good one.
    (except for one thing, I just realized. The separate parts may not touch or overlap, in which case a boolean will not work, and will require some fake geometry to be added to make it work.)
    Use a composite part!
    If you use the frames tool, it will create it for you.

There is no way to show "3D" welds automatically, although I am not sure how useful that would be (other than for renderings), although there are a couple of featurescripts for "welds" that might help...