Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best practices for workflow?

preston_bannisterpreston_bannister Member Posts: 6
In my case, I am exporting parts from Onshape, importing into Cura - with adjustments, saving the gcode to removable storage - with renaming, and printing on my 3D printer (a Chinese clone of the Prusa i3).

As a software guy, I am accustomed to saving anything repetitive as Make/Ant/Maven recipes (or the like). Fiddling around in a GUI is fine the first time or few, but after I want to write recipes.

I have no notion what is usual practice in the CAD community. What is usual practice? What does Onshape support?

I can hack Cura (if needed), as it is open source. Not looking to re-invent where there is existing practice (if there is existing practice).

Comments

• Options
    mbattistellombattistello Member, Developers Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Ive not seen anyone automating this workflow. Im familiar with make/ant tools and I think I understand what your trying to get at. 

You could automate the exporting processes from Onshape with the APIs. You could build a custom task that can interact with the Onshape APIs. I have an app that does the download of an Onshape model to a step file locally and then imports it into another CAD platform and manipulates it. 

The one challenge is you can only export a couple formats ( think just Parasolid ) in a single step. The other formats require you to setup a webhook listener that Onshape notifies when the its completed the translation. This might cause a small issue if you want this process to be solely run on your desktop as the webhook wants a url to call. I think you can take another approach where you request the export/translation and then poll for its status and when its complete download it.