Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly import from SW, possible ??

jean_didierjean_didier Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I tried to import a complete folder originally made with SW 2014, part come in and translate OK but assembly cannot not be translated (which is a big bummer, sad face and all...), the drawing cannot either but i did expect that. Is there a way to do that ?? With the time i did spend doing those, it will be nice to be able to retrieve them. I'll say to make a final migration, that will be a must.
Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Fantastic ! So much to learn !!!  :)
  • Options
    Guys, i tried the pack and go then upload , i got a "translation failed". :'(   Does the fact that i have multiple sub-assembly is factor ?
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jean-Didier
    I believe there are problems being worked on with translation, but one thing to check is that the name of the pack & go zip is the same as the name of the top level assembly (which by default it is, from Solidworks, unless you type in a change)
  • Options
    let's try it !

• Options
    Victory !!!! Thanks guys for the tips !!!
  • Options
    ales_1ales_1 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    In SolidWorks try save to x_t (parasolid) and then upload to Onshape. In my experinece smaller file and faster translation process. Part colours remain.
  • Options
    Thanks, the import direct from Sw worked fine. Keeping the file name as the top assembly name did the trick !
  • Options
    nathaniel_zaharianathaniel_zaharia Member Posts: 20
    Hey guys, I tried to do this upload procedure.  I looked through the video a few times to make sure I was doing everything right, and I cannot get the zip file to translate.  

The file gets imported, but no translation occurs.  So I just end up with an uploaded zip file.  I checked that the file name of the assembly is identical to the name of the zip file.  I tried uploading from the documents window and from inside a new document.  I got the zip file from someone else and there is a (very small) chance that the pack n go was not done properly.  But, assuming that the pack n go was good.  Are there any issues I should be aware of or common mistakes that I could be making?

Thanks!
  • Options
    nathaniel_zaharianathaniel_zaharia Member Posts: 20
    Update: I renamed all the files in the assembly (along with the top level assembly itself) without spaces and redid the pack n go and the translation worked.