Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best way to panelize parts for CAM?

RootentityRootentity Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I have an Ox style CNC machine. Nearly everything that I make is cut from sheet material.  I'm using Fusion 360 as my CAM software as I can't afford much else and it has the options that I need.  I have been cutting out one piece at a time then re-zeroing and repeating.  I'm looking for a good way to setup a job to cut out a bunch of pieces in one go.

Here is a link to the project: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/dd2559741ed61faef1997d78/w/60f81226279baa226e41fed5/e/fe96c9c7592d0a5be277aa2b

I tried remaking the sketch and using a linear pattern with construction lines used to center and space the pattern, but it behaved very unpredictably, and quite laggy.  I got it to work by using a linear pattern on the part itself, but I had to manually increment the spacing and remeasure over and over to get it close to centered on the sheet, and I will have to do it again when I measure each actual sheet as they won't all be an even 300mm square, and must be flipped for machining on both sides.

My question is how should I go about laying out my parts for sheet cutting either in Onshape or Fusion, or another (free for hobbyist) CAM program.

Best Answer

Answers