Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I make a public model than everyone can edit, not just copy?

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi.

Title says it all really.  I can't find a way to make a public model that anyone can edit.  With immutable revisions I can always roll back should bad people do bad things...

Cheers, Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would say not even public document as a whole, but a particular public workspace, or public document with one workspace protected from editing by not specified users

• Options
    Hi @konstantin_shiriazdanov , thanks for the reply.  This wasn't an improvement request, I was actually asking if I can do this right this second?  I'd thought we could, went to do it then realised I couldn't work out how.

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If i'm not mistaken there is not option to make public document editable for any user, but from the posts of OS developers could be said that they have an understanding of the use of this functionality.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Thanks @philip_thomas, perfectly clear.

In this instance the end goal was for asking for or giving help on the forum rather than a specific project. 

OS has done a great job with the collaboration features. So much so it feels wrong to take copies of documents, or to have to ask in advance to be included in something like that.  With time zones and availability I'd like a way where at least a branch in a doc could be set to full-on public read/write.  If someone is ready and willing to help then I don't want to mess them around with asking for permissions.

Although this sounds like a typical Owen winge I think it demonstrates how OS is changing the way we work.  Pre-OS the very first thing I'd do is password protect a doc and insist the contributors take their own copy to screw up edit.  So I love where you guys are heading.  :)

Cheers,

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited May 2017
    Owen - i couldn't agree with you more!
    I would love to be able to assign branch-specific rights (and the ability to share just a branch or just a version!)
    With regards to a truly 'public' document, we are obviously need to think about that particularly carefully.
    My suggestion would be to submit two (or more) separate enhancement requests - we are very democratic around here.
    That said, we put a lot of weight behind whatever PRO users say they NEED to get their jobs done - so, if this is just a 'nice to have' please note this so we dont try to prioritize above configurations or advanced surfacing or other secret awesome stuff :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape