Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need a Ronald Reagan Button

bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
I need a fast way to change from metric to inch and from inch to metric quickly in parts/assemblies/and drawings. 

In the USA, materials and tooling are in English units. Most designs are in metric units. I need a way to toggle back and forth very quickly. Dual units will work as well, but this tends to get cluttered.

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373

You are in luck, with Onshape you can change the workspace units even while in the middle of creating a sketch! For some more info on how to access/change units on the fly take a look at our help documentation.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Bill,

The "Workspace units" dialog is the fastest way we currently have to change the units of a document.  The dialog actually updates the units immediately upon changes to the dropdown menu, no need to click the green check box:

This means that you can open this dialog (from the menu as shown) and then toggle the units between imperial and metric without ever closing the dialog. This could be good for exploring the document, measuring distances that may be based in different unit systems, etc.

Unfortunately this dialog will close if another (such as a feature dialog) is opened. Is this the workflow you are currently using?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I really didn't know where you were going with that thread title, I was betting on either a "Nuke" button or a "Sleep" button. :)

Also on behalf of the UK please will you stop calling Imperial Units "English"?  Sure we gave them to the world but we decided they were obsolete in 1965 and implemented something far more appropriate for the "modern" world. 

It's not often we get to poke fun at America but come on guys for once you're half a century behind the rest of the world here... :p 

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    barry_gibsonbarry_gibson Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    But your in Wales, Owen, aren't you and have a different language 
  • Options
    Very true, but I'm a half-breed.  There are few things that with stop the Welsh and English fighting each other, but I'm sure we can unite for the common goal of making fun of Americans.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks - I did not know you were, well anything until just now! :)
    I too am half Welsh - my father is from Neath and my mother from London :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @philip_thomas

Good choice of parents.  What does it say for welsh womanhood that both our fathers sought spouses from outside the clan?

Personally I'm Welsh from the waist down (good short stout rugby playing legs) combined with English from the waist up (can count a little over 10 without taking shoes and socks off).  Seems to work, mostly. ;)

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks

No no, that wasn't at all weird! ;)
    Just kidding - same boat - longer legs though ;)
    and I totally agree on the SI units!!! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape