Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Recommendations on how to model an airplane

nathan_dnathan_d Member Posts: 5
I'm looking for a little direction on how to go about modeling a B-2 bomber.  I'd like to make a large 3D printed model for my son, who loves airplanes.  So far I found a downloadable surface model that I might be able to use as a template to make a solid model (are those the right terms?).  I'd like to make moveable landing gear, an opening bay, etc., and the plane will be modular so I can print in sections.  Here's the model:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ab8427adf74f1f0c85fd4f9c/w/d1bb32d0c27cdf088add04d4/e/946273f024f25f591bf3ec3b

I'd classify my OnShape skills as 'intermediate'.

Should I create a surface shell (or clean up what I've already imported) first, or make a 100% solid and cut out the landing gear, bomb bay, etc?  If I were to start from scratch, how to I model the complex curves of the plane?

Thank you in advance for any tips!