Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to copy a sketch to use it in the same Part Studio to create a new Part?

Gary_32Gary_32 Member Posts: 3
Hi,

I want to make several similar Parts in a single Part Studio from the same sketch - they are basically just different length extrusions of the same sketch (reasonably complex) profile.

I can't see how to do this, surely I don't have to do the same sketch twice - one for each different length extrusion do I?

Gary
Tagged:

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I don't think you can not copy a sketch in a Part Studio. I have looked for this, would be a nice feature to copy then adjust for next part.
    You can build complex construction sketches and extrude multiple part to your hearts content, I find it work really well especially how it highlights the zones in the sketch for selection.

Sounds like for this one you just need to show the sketch (little eye switch) and select for your next extrusion 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the sketch is not positioned right for re-use, what would be even better than copy ability would be the ability to make a copycat sketch, one which updates when the original sketch does. (In Solidworks this is called a derived sketch)
    Clearly "copy sketch", along with the ability to copy elements of a sketch (to paste elsewhere in that sketch) should be higher on the priorities list, but it would be good to have an idea of who is keen to see the ability to derive sketches.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Clearly "copy sketch", along with the ability to copy elements of a sketch (to paste elsewhere in that sketch) should be higher on the priorities list, but it would be good to have an idea of who is keen to see the ability to derive sketches.
    Not sure we'd need derived sketch, something I've never used in SW.

I've got a request in for this. I'd love to be able to copy a segment of a sketches with constraints/dimensions and drop at various other points, even between sketches. In SW use the ctrl key to copy, but we will never see this in a browsers so come other form of sketch copy tool would be cool.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    As I do a lot of un-necessary work when trying to come up with new furniture designs (only a fraction will end up in the production) I would definitely need easy and intuitive copying of sketches - copy to clipboard, paste into any sketch environment (on same or different studio/assy/document).
    Paste should have two options (similar to excel):
    1. quick paste, only geometry will be pasted
    2. special paste, open dialog for things to include in paste (constraints, dimensions, parameters, reference planes/figures etc..)
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the sound of what @3dcad proposes, with a basic paste but also something along "Paste Special" (Excel) lines