Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I make a line that will be used for sweep removal following a curve in 3d?

AZΘRÆNAZΘRÆN Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
I need to make a hole inside the wall of a hollow cylinder, like a pipe.The hole in the pipes wall that starts on the inside of the pipe. It then punches into the pipe and runs within the wall down a portion of the length. It then needs to turn 90 deg. to the right/left, staying within the wall of the pipe, and follow the curvature of the pipe for a set number of degrees relive to the central axis of the pipe. After the hole follows the curvature of the pipe wall it will need to turn 90 deg. in the same direction that it did before (right/left) and back track the way it came and come out the side (the outside, side) of the pipe. The hole that is traced can be any shape as long as it stays within the walls of the pipe. I hope you can help!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 Answer ✓
    Check the document link. The angle is driven by a dimension in Sketch 3. Right now I believe it's set to 120deg, but you can change it to whatever you want. 
    Answer ✓
    I tend to figure things out on my own, but there are plenty of videos on Onshape's Youtube channel.

Answers

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @azθræn_k129
    Can you share your document here so we can help you? Just paste the URL here.
    Support & QA
    How's this? It takes a few steps, but you can create the desired curve by stitching together 2D sketches and connecting with bridge curves when a 3D transition is required.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/120003ac961d7f63d3177c75

• AZΘRÆNAZΘRÆN Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Yes very nearly! Does the turn need to be a 90 deg turn? If so great but I would like for the arc to cover to be a smaller angle
    edited June 2017 Answer ✓
    Check the document link. The angle is driven by a dimension in Sketch 3. Right now I believe it's set to 120deg, but you can change it to whatever you want. 
    GREAT! you did exacly what I needed help with thanks so much!
    I do have another question, how did you make plane 2 offset angularly from the front/right planes? Does it have something to do with basing it off of sketch 3? 

What would be the best way to go about learning the tools that you used to make the "tunnel" so I have a total understanding of how to make from scratch?
    I will do that. Are there any videos that would help to speed the process along?
    Answer ✓
    I tend to figure things out on my own, but there are plenty of videos on Onshape's Youtube channel.

Thanks again! I figured out how to make what I wanted. Here is the document

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9518e2ebfdee494b44d015c1/w/74a84827929d3967bc3f0430/e/c508cc2efcfda5b21a6715f3 
    They are called Pythagoras cups here is a youtube video that show how they work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfIT3B4y6E