Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Etching

fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
Hi!

I'm working on a BB-8 dome

and I would like to etch the small lines

How would you do that? I was thinking to use the Sweep tool, but how can I build the path on the dome surface?

Thanks for suggestions.

Answers

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    using intersection edges between some tool bodies and sphere (create a copy in place of sphere and make intersection body that contains contour edges that lie on sphere)
  • fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    It would be interesting to be able to put 3D points, with constraints (on a surface, an edge...), directly in 3D space, as we put 2D points with constraints in sketches... Then, using 3D curves, it would be very simple to do that.
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    This is a great example of when to use 'Up to with offset.'

1. Create your desired sketch region on a plane
    2. Extrude it some amount
    3. Add a second direction (I like dragging the second end direction manipulator to make sure I have my directions correct)
    4. Make the end condition 'Up to face' and select BB-8's head
    5. Add an offset that is the desired depth into the head

May the force be with you,

Jason

Support & QA
  • fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Nice! Thanks for the tip.