Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Self-intersecting body with loft and path

simonbsimonb Member Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Community Support
Hello,

I'm trying to use the path feature with loft tool, but it results on a "self-intersecting body" that cannot be resolved. Unselecting the path feature would make the tool work, but I would like the shape to follow a curve.

Without path:

With path:

Do you have any idea to make this feature path work?
Here is the link for the document:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/820714fe10c740379bcc9a5d/w/4d94049738ef4923a0e61fc8/e/628b3bc013287cf979eade50

Thank you

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I finally manage to make it work by adding vertices (match vertcies).

Thanks again

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, your path doesn't touch your profiles. How is OS supposed to know what to do? The profiles are telling the loft command to be in one place, while the path says to do something else entirely. I'm surprised you even got a preview out of it. It's up to you whether you edit the path or profiles, but you need to end up with a path that pierces all your profile sketches.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Understood, I didn't know it worked like that.
    thank you
  • Options
    I made a new path (3D fit spline), made of one vertice of each sketch/profile, and the result is still the same:

Any idea?

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I finally manage to make it work by adding vertices (match vertcies).

Thanks again
  • Options
    Glad it worked it worked out! Yeah, unless your profiles are very simple, you'll have to tell OS how to "connect the dots", so to speak.
  • Options
    Thanks Mahir, however you may want to know that the first curve that wasn't touching any profile's vertice works as well if I add matching vertices. 
    So I conclude the path must not touch the profiles.
  • Options
    Surprising, but good to know. Thanks. I guess I expected loft paths to behave similarly to sweep paths.