Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Max Spacing Linear Pattern

philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
Sometimes you want a pattern to span a known distance using the fewest instances that are spaced within a maximum allowable distance

Also known as 'the ladder problem'. As the length of the ladder increases, the rung spacing increases until a maximum spacing is reached and at that point an additional rung is introduced and the spacing is thereby reduced to a value below the maximum.

This is a simple modification to the standard linear pattern feature.
I suck at programming so my moded code may be messier than you are used to seeing from our developers, but hey - it works! :)

In this example, i am using sketch2 to define offsets from the end of the bar and the distance between the two offset sends to define the span of the pattern.

Enjoy 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d7ad011b34563854e423bcfe/w/271fc9c16558e0c8df05c677/e/d189b1d5856c3a784e58e43a

Philip Thomas - Onshape