Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape + X-Carve : what are the options ?

jean_didierjean_didier Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I'm planning to get a X-carve and I will love to use Onshape for modeling projects.Is there a good option to use the models for G-code ? I saw a lot off top of the line CAM partner for Onshape, but first how that will work with the software and second is there anything available more simple for home use ? Thanks for the help ! Cheers !

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    It looks like V-Carve is some sort of CNC router, possibly intended for woodworking.  If so, you might want to look into product offerings from Vectric, like V-Carve or one of their more advanced products.  I've not used any of their products, but woodworkers seem to like them and OnShape should be able to export part files in a format that the Vectric programs can read and and from which they can produce G-code for your router.

http://www.vectric.com/products/learn-about-vectric-software.html

Mike
  • Options
    onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hi Jean,

The Vectric software is quite good if you don't need production level toolpathing! Heck, if you need production level 2D machining, it's hard to beat Cut 2D 1.5
  • Options
    jean_didierjean_didier Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Interesting that was my thought as well ! ArtCam is pretty good too. Thanks,