Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrusions from same sketch splitting into two parts?

alex_holman429alex_holman429 Member Posts: 1
I've created a model designed to adapt a standard 4.25x2in sheet of shade 14 welding glass into a pair of cheap harbor freight welding goggles for eclipse viewing. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a9b89cc36e89ed034d021fd9/w/ff7428bbdfe6494315137b2d/e/0c865fd65078dbf4ffcb40d8

My issue is that in one case extrusions from a single sketch are breaking into 2 parts, whereas in another case they remain as a single case. Compare the Right clip which correctly remained as a single part with the Left clip which broke into parts 1 and 2. Why is this happening, and can anyone offer suggestions on what I can change to prevent it?

Thanks,
-Alex-

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Alex!

The merging behavior of many features (including extrude) is controlled by the "Boolean" parameters at the top of the dialog (New, Add, Remove, Intersect) and the "Merge" parameters at the bottom (Merge with all/Merge scope).

To get the unmerged clip to merge the way you want it to, I would edit "Extrude 5", select the "Add" option, leave "Merge with all" unchecked, and click on the upper part of the left clip as the "Merge scope" (or, in simpler terms, what you will be "Add"ing to).

Let us know if this helped!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team