Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Not correctly centered mate connector between two faces

brunono553brunono553 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hi all,
I'm a quite new user, so I maybe missed something. I read almost all the doc about mates connectors between creating this post.

I want to align a cylinder between two holes of a solid.
In assembly :

• I created a mate connector between two symmetric faces
  • I added a cynlinder with center fastened to this new created connector

Problem : depending on faces selection, the mate connector is not in the center of the faces.

Here is a proof of concept of the problem with a working version and a not working version :

Working well:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ef584cb977e203c98f138dd6/w/5d0ecf6a90928e5be53f9bb1/e/121a1fbaa75b17053d1b7416

Not working:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8f91fba0d4839dec42c642f5/w/780ad620152f0aa072b3a941/e/9c855daaf8710a03295ec90a

Is this a bug ? Or did I missed something ?

Thanks

Best Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Looks like it is "Mate Connector 1" that has the issue in the the not working example.  (It's not in the middle.)  When positioning a mate with reference to a circular hole you have a choice of top, middle or bottom of the hole.  OS is not good at showing which is used here simply stating "face of base <1>, whis is no specific.  However if you select the inboard infernce for the "on entity" and the inner face on the "between enteties" all is good.  You can also use the outboard hole inference and outboard face.  My guess is you've used one inboard and one outboard, resulting in a shift of the average between the two.

Reading that back my wording is not clear at all, does it make sense?  If not I'll do a screen capture video at work tomorrow.

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    edited July 2017 Answer ✓
    Hi @owen_sparks
    Thanks for your answer.
    I indeed had realized that there is three available connectors for each circular hole, and I have choosen the middle one, like that :

By the way, for some reason, we do not have that choice for the second mate of the "between mate" connector, and nothing in the UI show us which of those three mates is used.

I didn't tried to select another than the middle one; thinking that this middle one should be selected by default for the other face (when UI doesn't shows me what mate is used for the other hole).

And Thank You ! I finally got it working by not selecting the middle mate, but the "left one" (in the precedent picture).

So note for UI devs : show the mate being used !

I applied that to my real usage and it worked :) Now my bearing is correctly aligned in the center :

Thank you !

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Looks like it is "Mate Connector 1" that has the issue in the the not working example.  (It's not in the middle.)  When positioning a mate with reference to a circular hole you have a choice of top, middle or bottom of the hole.  OS is not good at showing which is used here simply stating "face of base <1>, whis is no specific.  However if you select the inboard infernce for the "on entity" and the inner face on the "between enteties" all is good.  You can also use the outboard hole inference and outboard face.  My guess is you've used one inboard and one outboard, resulting in a shift of the average between the two.

Reading that back my wording is not clear at all, does it make sense?  If not I'll do a screen capture video at work tomorrow.

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    edited July 2017 Answer ✓
    Hi @owen_sparks
    Thanks for your answer.
    I indeed had realized that there is three available connectors for each circular hole, and I have choosen the middle one, like that :

By the way, for some reason, we do not have that choice for the second mate of the "between mate" connector, and nothing in the UI show us which of those three mates is used.

I didn't tried to select another than the middle one; thinking that this middle one should be selected by default for the other face (when UI doesn't shows me what mate is used for the other hole).

And Thank You ! I finally got it working by not selecting the middle mate, but the "left one" (in the precedent picture).

So note for UI devs : show the mate being used !

I applied that to my real usage and it worked :) Now my bearing is correctly aligned in the center :

Thank you !