Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketches

aubrey_cousinaubrey_cousin Member Posts: 15 PRO
Possibilities of adding the ability to measure or dimension drawings by the outside of a circle to another circle's outside perimeter like measuring slots but not by its center point?  Also is there a way to copy sketch entities with an anchor point to paste by that anchor point in a new sketch or another area of the current sketch? Can that be added?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    william_luckewilliam_lucke Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2017
    When I paste sketch entities from one sketch into another, they don't show up in the same location relative to the origin. Any constraints that are referenced to the origin have to be re-created, which is the operation that copying and pasting is intended to avoid.
    When I select the origin in order to use it as a reference point, the option to copy sketch entities goes away.
    There's also no way to clear the clip board.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    @william_lucke when you paste a sketch you are automatically put into "Transform" mode (which can also be found under the sketch pattern icon). This allows you to snap your pasted entities to any geometry including the origin.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    william_luckewilliam_lucke Member Posts: 5
    No, it doesn't allow that.
    If I have constraints referenced to the origin, but do not have a sketch entity AT the origin, then those constraints referenced to the origin do NOT copy.

If I'm doing a layout with multiple entities referenced from the origin, then those constraints have to be rebuilt in order to fully constrain the geometry I copied.
    Also, when I copy geometry with a mirror constraint mirrored across the origin, that constraint does not copy, even when there is a sketch entity at the origin.