Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fix revolute mate limits in an assy when mate is defined in sub-assy

gw_estepgw_estep OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
edited July 2017 in Community Support
I'm fairly new to OS so please bear with me if this is a noob question.  I couldn't seem to find a clear answer.

I'd like to fix the revolute mate limits between two parts in an assembly where the revolute mate is defined in another assy.

Here is a link to a simple doc that has the parts and assemblies I'm experimenting with.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8acd5d219ca09ca1efc81511/w/f90a1572e3d7dd0096ecb912/e/c1d3f8a610f967be53fae388

The use case is this.
I have a model that uses this https://8020.net/4197.html  and in OS, the pivot assy has the revolute mate defined between the arms and the nub without limits.

I'd like to use this assy in other assy's and docs where I would like optionally to fix the rotation of the arms relative to the nub without having a copy of the base assy.

Is this possible?  FeatureScript required?

Thanks for the help in advance

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited July 2017
    @gw_estep - thank you for your question. Its very simple - use 'Group Mate'. This fixes the spatial relationships between n parts.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks Philip but I don't think that solves my whole problem.  I want to set the revolute mate value to something specific, say 42 degrees and if I could do this precisely then the group made strategy would work but it looks like the only control I have of the angle is by dragging the mouse around.  Did I miss something?
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @gw_estep - Yes! when dragging a mate on screen, you will see the numeric value and you can click on it and enter a value.
    An alternate method is to edit one of the mate connectors associated with the mate (implicit or explicit) and enter a rotational value to the initial state.
    The benefit of the second method is the ability to RMB over the mate and select "Reset" (sets the mate back to the initial state).
    I hope these two methods help.
    :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    It appears as though the ability to enter a value for a revolute mate is only available in the assy where the revolute mate is defined.

I re-read my initial explanation and it is a bit confusing so I'll give it another shot.

I have an assy (child assy) with 2 parts connected with a revolute mate.

I would like to use the child assy in another assy (parent) and set the value of the revolute mate defined in the child assy to a particular value in the parent assy separately for each instance of the child assy that exists in the parent assy.  In my example OS doc,  there doesn't seem to be a way to set the revolute mate value in the parent assy other than dragging the mouse.

Am I doing this all wrong at a fundamental level?
  • Options
    @gw_estep - I am running from meeting to meeting and have not looked at your doc yet (i will).
    A quick fix is to add ANOTHER revolute mate in the parent assembly and add the limits there.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape