Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Move holes on a cylinder?

mrmagnemrmagne Member Posts: 6
Hi, 

I have made this cylinder with holes around it and i would like to move the holes in a V shape around the cylinder (mirrored on each side). Now, i have tried to use the dimension tool to try and set a length from the cylinder side wall to the center of each hole, but that is not working.

Any tips for me here? Sure would appreciate it :) 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @mrmagne - Onshape is a very powerful professional grade 3D CAD platform. Please check out the Onshape learning center for awesome tutorials.
    www.learn.onshape.com.

To get you going, here is a quick public document showing what i think you're asking for :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1f863cbbcea49bed45409618/w/3abb3b92d9cf642a9de9fc28/e/68fe3dd5192ac5bbf4676567

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Hi @philip_thomas and thanks for your effort :)

Your example was not what I was after, sorry if my explanation was poor.

Try visualise a rectangular square with one large V on the whole surface, i then want holes along the whole V, then transform the rectangle to a cylinder. So when the top and bottom of the V meets on the cylinder, i would get two holes on each edge of the cylinder where the top of the V pattern is and one hole in center just below the top holes.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @mrmange - sorry, no idea what you're describing. How about drawing the pattern unrolled onto a piece of paper. Take a picture with your phone and post it here. It will take 5 minutes to model whatever pattern you draw. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @philip_thomas Hope this drawing helps. 

First image would be if i set the cylinder standing on a table looking right at it. 

Second image would be of the cylinders whole face, looking at it on a rectangular perspective. 

• Options
    Thanks, with some tweaks i think i can use this method. The method is currently to complex for my skill level, but i will study and learn it :)
  • Options
    If there is an easier way to achieve this, let me know :)