Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Overriding calculated mass

marcus_bernsteinmarcus_bernstein Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 EDU
Hey Onshape Community!

I'm working in robotics with purchased parts (motors or electronics for example) that aren't one solid material throughout but most have weights posted by the supplier or I can just put them on a scale and find out the weight of the parts. I know this is possible in Solidworks, but does Onshape have capability to override mass properties and just insert a mass for a given part without dealing with density/material/volume. I think thats a critical element for any cad software in weight estimation, cause many potential cad projects use these type of parts and reverse calculating the density and guesstimating a nearby part is an awful way to do this stuff.

Really hoping theres a way to simply insert a mass for a given part, and if not that the functionality comes soon.

Thanks,

-Marcus
Any chance Onshape is looking for interns?

Philadelphia User Group Leader

Comments