Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3Dconnexion support on iPad Pro

smudgesmudge Member Posts: 1
edited August 2017 in Product Feedback
I'm looking to replace my 6 year old MacBook Pro with a new 12" iPad Pro for the majority of my daily work.  However, one feature that will be missed is using my 3Dconnexion Space Pilot Pro with Onshape.

So, 
I know this is a long shot but please seriously consider/discuss it before dismissing the idea. :#
Is there any way you could work with the 3Dconnexion developers to get their products working on an iPad?

Using the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, it is possible to plug the 3D mouse and a Lightning power cable into the iPad at the same time. (Too bad 
3Dconnexion hasn't made a BlueTooth version yet)

Next would be to get the web browser to see the 3D mouse.  Since it might require customized drivers, a normal browser probably wouldn't work and they don't support extensions like they do on the desktop.

One idea is to include the drivers into your own custom version of the Chrome web browser built using the Chromium source code for iOS.  You can rebrand it with your company name/logo/etc. with any customizations you need.  I've seen this before on the desktop where the extension isn't approved for the Chrome App Store because of direct hardware access but it worked great as a custom app. To the user, it is just the same as the normal Chrome app, just better.

So, what do you think of an
 Onshape iPad App being a custom Chrome browser complete with 3D Mouse support?  Sounds like an interesting challenge!