Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

DUAL MONITOR

enrico_buosoenrico_buoso Member Posts: 2
Dear All, I would like have a part in full screen on a monitor and all the toolsbar in my second monitor. how can i set it?
Thank you

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    This is not currently supported.
    That said, you can open any document any number of times - commonly people put an assembly on one monitor and the party they are working on in another. If you dont have two monitors, it is common also to see the assembly on an ipad and the part being worked on on a laptop or workstation.
    Don't forget also that you can make the toolbars any size you want (cmd+ and cmd-).
    With these tools you should be able to setup an environment that is most productive for you.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Dear All, I would like have a part in full screen on a monitor and all the toolsbar in my second monitor. how can i set it?
    Thank you
    Although I like this idea it will result in a lot of "mouse millage". It's possibly more efficient to learn the keyboard shortcuts, or use make more use of the context sensitive quick menu via the "S" key.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can even use a 3Dmouse, like the one in the picture and configure all the buttons to run the keyboard shortcuts.

I actually barely touched the keyboard when designing
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for using S-menu and quick buttons on 3dmouse / regular one
    //rami
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    edited August 2017
    As a user I always liked the combination of a keyboard shortcuts for mainly view manipulation (View normal to, front, iso, zoom to fit/extents, zoom to selection, etc...) combined with s-key for all the tools at my immediate fingertips (mouse clicks).  Very nice workflow.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Everyone has their own 'most productive' setup - Here's mine.
    • Two (or more monitors) - no element switching
    • Keyboard shortcuts are (IMHO) the fastest way to use Onshape
    • Shift-Enter confirms and repeats a command (saves selecting the command again)
    • RMB/Confirm-Cancel (saves moving the mouse back to the dialog)
    • Learn the difference between left to right window select and right to left (just like SolidWorks)
    • Learn how to use 'Create Selection' - saves HUNDREDS of clicks

$0.02 :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    • Shift-Enter confirms and repeats a command (saves selecting the command again)
    I didn't know that one! Just shows that you "learn something new every day"!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @NeilCookeShift-Enter is in the keyboard shortcut list (shift -?) but my 3Dconnexion mouse also have a Shift key :D 

My most productive setup is "think before take the mouse" or mouses ;-)

When doing pre-sales demonstrations of SolidWorks, years ago, usually the prospects (potential customers) , now customers, 
    tried to compare the time I spent doing whatever thing they want with respect to his CAD software.
    They even took a chronometer once ;-) 
    So I began to explain slowly all that I was about to do while the customer looked his chronometer every 5 seconds ;-)
    Of course, I finally did everything I was asked for and more, in less time and with much more information and detail
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    • RMB/Confirm-Cancel (saves moving the mouse back to the dialog)
    @philip_thomas a little improvement for your setup:
    You can skip the confirmation of a feature, just pick the next one or press Esc to cancel.
    Of course, my 3Dmouse also have an ESC key ;-)

A lot of users know they can do that inside a sketch... select the line feature, pick some points and select circle, rectangle, etc.
    But... you can select extrude (or press SHIFT+e) without leave the line command and without confirm the sketch
    Then you can select Fillet (or press SHIFT+f) without confirm the extrude feature
    And so on

You can increase the price to $0.03 :)

Un saludo,