Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Thickening a Surface Generated by Surface Lofts between Splines

cory_ibanezcory_ibanez Member Posts: 10
Hi, I am trying to create a smooth but non uniform surface, then perform a thicken on this surface. I have managed to create the surface that I desire but I am having trouble getting the thicken tool to function properly. The goal is to create a pod like structure with a thickness of about 2mm. I am open to other approaches but this is the closest I could get with the methods I've found. A link to the document is here 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0050b3edcc24c3b8cac7136d/w/a120d7aca21e1b1f73c3c54d/e/fd1d685f4d64609d24ffabe7

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    It's a bad articulation of your idea. Do you really mean to have those?

When you are creating those angled sections you might think you know how the surface will look like, but we usually fail to do so. Much better is to add a rail. The second thing is if thicken is the tool you need maybe shell will do a better job? Check this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/593edf4c1daab832b61548e8/v/a07412afc72b6bdd6b09c639/e/62b91a7f3b67a47613c5e45e
  • Options
    cory_ibanezcory_ibanez Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2017
    Ah so its those little creases that are causing issues? How would I go about getting rid of those? Or is that just a consequence of lofting between differently shaped splines? Edit: Nevermind I see how you've done it. You instead used a guide for just 3 splines to ensure they transition properly. Thanks for the help!