Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to loft / fill airfoil shape across curved wing shape

sean_magee_saxtonsean_magee_saxton Member Posts: 3
edited August 2017 in Community Support
Hi all,

Trying to create / modify a design for a hydrofoil board.

I have a profile generator which I used to bring in airfoil shapes, and the keel extrusion was easy as it does not get narrower at the base.

I cannot figure out how to loft or fill from the foil shape along the main wing, as any attempt with various settings seems to fail to generate properly. I have sketched the profile of the wing, and want the airfoil shape to taper down to the end of the wing.

Can anyone help with this?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/35bfbc7db86790e64fdfb278/w/7bd18c7c8caea5172144ec01/e/288027ee3e1b4dfb015d1615

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited August 2017
    Ok - normally I just bang these out - but this was a head scratcher!
    Fun project! In the end @lougallo came up with a viable solution first! :wink:

We hope this helps!
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/be07bd204edb4c16883974aa/w/374412633a917855103be960/e/7c706709f8a630086048ee9a
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    o_krummo_krumm Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I am quite new to Onshape and I am loving everything so far. I also tried to create a wing just like @sean_magee_saxton and found this post. I didn´t manage to recreate the steps from the file of @philip_thomas but I realized that the shape of the wing as seen below is not what you expect from a wing. It gets thicker in the middle although there is no spline that tells the loft to do something like that.
    Is there a way to work around that? And @philip_thomas : what was the breaking point in realizing what you accomplished by creating that wing? I always get error messages.

With best regards, Oliver