Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Joining Text

john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
edited September 2017 in Community Support
I have been trying to join text but unable due to the presets for 'Text'. I wish to create one part for laser cutting. How can I change the presets so that I can join the text

Best Answer

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2017 Answer ✓
    Ah, OK, I think I get it.  So you want to take a bunch of overlapping shapes in one or more sketches and from that get a single outline to cut?

As ever many options.  You could work in the sketch or with solids parts.

Here are 2 ways, my preference would be b:-
    (a) Create another sketch on top of the first and make use of the "use" feature to project whichever lines you want, then export this sketch as dxf.  You may need the "trim" tool to remove any unwanted lines. (You could work on the first sketch with the letters in, but I'd use a 2nd one on top just so you don't mangle the original text should you wish to do a version 2.

(b) Extrude the solid letters individually, move them around with the "transform" tool and when happy "boolean" (merge) them together.  Then right click on the face and export the face as a dxf.  This has the advantage that you can see what the finished part will look like.

Shout if you need more.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd

Answers

Can you provide a link to an example doc of what you're trying to do?  It's a fairly broad question.

I'm sure folks will help then.

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
     Yes, here it is.  Just want to combine letter shape and eventually all the shapes, suitable for Laser cutting in steel. There must be something simple, maybe exporting as an STL. Am very much a beginner Onshape user. Thanks for the help.    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/00f7acd4e399cac35006ede3/w/cea19987e6a4bc0bf999e40f/e/79eade87dd0b09915be5f120
     Yes, here it is.  Just want to combine letter shape. Am very much a beginer Onshape uiser  but not Onshape   https://cad.onshape.com/documents/00f7acd4e399cac35006ede3/w/cea19987e6a4bc0bf999e40f/e/79eade87dd0b09915be5f120
     her is am image of what I want to achieve with letters 
    edited September 2017 Answer ✓
    Ah, OK, I think I get it.  So you want to take a bunch of overlapping shapes in one or more sketches and from that get a single outline to cut?

As ever many options.  You could work in the sketch or with solids parts.

Here are 2 ways, my preference would be b:-
    (a) Create another sketch on top of the first and make use of the "use" feature to project whichever lines you want, then export this sketch as dxf.  You may need the "trim" tool to remove any unwanted lines. (You could work on the first sketch with the letters in, but I'd use a 2nd one on top just so you don't mangle the original text should you wish to do a version 2.

(b) Extrude the solid letters individually, move them around with the "transform" tool and when happy "boolean" (merge) them together.  Then right click on the face and export the face as a dxf.  This has the advantage that you can see what the finished part will look like.

Shout if you need more.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd