Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ray Tracer half transparent mirror

Hi, I'm using the Ray Tracer in Onshape for optical simulation. In my situation I need a half transparent mirror with transmission and reflection. In the Ray Tracer settings I can only set the reflection or the transmission. I need booth. It is possible to set both values? Or is there an other solution?
Thanks for all answares.

Best Answer

Answers

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, Configurations EVP Posts: 699
    This is not currently possible with that feature -- its source code would have to be modified to support this.
    Ilya Baran \ Director of FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • norbert_walter937norbert_walter937 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your answare. The Ray Tracer is very interesting for me. Specially in combination with mecanical designs. In this case I can check the system functions over the completely design. I d'ont need a full function Ray Tracer. Easy functionality is enough. For a better integration is following necaessary:
    • transmission and reflection at same time
    • easy light source generator with multible beam array
    • roughness as property for objekts (for different reflection directions)
    • wave length as property (refraction calculation)
    • easy lens generator (nice to have)
    Are this topics possible in a future version?

I think this features are necessary and usefully also for education.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, Configurations EVP Posts: 699
    The ray tracer is a sample custom feature developed by @maximilian_schommer while he was a summer intern with us -- it is not a part of Onshape's core functionality and so we do not have resources we can allocate to its development.  If you are comfortable with code, you can add the functionality you describe yourself or you may be able to interest someone in the community (or may be an Onshaper on their own time) to build it.
    Ilya Baran \ Director of FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • norbert_walter937norbert_walter937 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for yours answares.
    @ilya_baran : I understand the situation. At the moment I have no experiences with code developping in Onshape. I'll try it soon.
    @philip_thomas : This is exactly what I need. The solution is a usefully nice trick. Thanks :-)
  • maximilian_schommermaximilian_schommer Member Posts: 11 EDU
    Hi @norbert_walter937

The ray tracer originally did give both the reflected and refracted ray, and it would be pretty simple to make a check box so that functionality is added to it again.

I'll see if I can get to it soon! Thanks for the suggestion!

Maximilian Schommer
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 696
    Perhaps to avoid a lot of unnecessary rays it would be more helpful to add the 'both' as a characteristic of the body and not of the ray! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • maximilian_schommermaximilian_schommer Member Posts: 11 EDU
    Thanks @philip_thomas and @norbert_walter937 for the suggestions! 

I was able to implement the semi-silvered mirror functionality, which appears in the setup as being able to check a box for reflection and refraction for each part selected.  The other suggestions about roughness, wavelength, etc. are great ideas, and I'll hopefully get around to them soon! Release 4 is where the new functionality lives.

Maximilian Schommer

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 696
    It occurred to me afterwards that asking for this meant you had to deal with recursion as every bounce produced two more rays to follow!
    Nicely done! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape