Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Announcing Convert & Optimize from ONU for CAD-to-Poly & 3D Visualization!

Hello Onshape community,

Our team at ONU just launched our brand-new Convert & Optimize app on the Onshape app store! We would like to invite you to join us for a free webinar to introduce the app and all the benefits you will experience. 

Convert & Optimize by ONU is the only cloud-based solution for efficiently creating lightweight polygonal FBX and OBJ files from CAD data. The product employs automation with patent-pending technology to create each polygonal model in just minutes, while retaining the part number and hierarchy information from the user's CAD to enable interactive, technical applications.The app allows for unlimited sharing of models via the ONU web viewer, and will permit a limited number of free exports so that users can appreciate the versatility of the output, which can serve AR, VR, web, and mobile applications.

We are excited to introduce our innovative technology in the Onshape App Store, and are confident that Onshape users will see significant benefits from being able to leverage their CAD to suit other needs across their organizations.

Finally, organizations can take full advantage of their investment in CAD by using it as a basis for delivering compelling 3D visuals.  Not only that ... now the engineers and designers can be the heroes by facilitating streamlined processes and enabling better visual content!

The webinar is scheduled for September 27, 2017 at 1:00 pm EDT.  Sign up now: 

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6711631567101127681 

And, check out Convert & Optimize in the Onshape app store: 

https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/Import%20and%20Export/ZDIR42SKEZADBJ2INW4HB2BYCQOCP5JHZY44EEA=/description

We look forward to sharing this great app with you!

The ONU Team

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hello ONU team.

Sounds interesting. 

(a) I gave it a go but received this :-There was an error creating your visual. Reference ID: 7e87e927-1b98-4a70-a708-a71a7fd14ec8

(b) I'm a bit wary of apps that tempt you in for free and then convert to subscription.  Please could you elaborate on 
    the "premium ONU program" and state some pricing and any guarantee of how long that price would be valid for without an increase? I can't see any mention of this either in the app store or on your demo website.

Regards, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    chris_baker624chris_baker624 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Owen,

Thank you for the feedback.  I appreciate where you are coming from, but I assure you that this is not a simple upsell mechanism and that the sharing features in the app are useful to many.  We recently held a webinar to explain ONU and the app, and I invite you and others to take a few minutes to watch the recording:  https://youtu.be/YqlysqRJ1pw.  We would be more than happy to address additional questions that the video might bring to mind.  With regard to the error that you reported, it was resolved in short order and I trust you have been able to test the app again.

Best,

Chris
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi Chris.

Yes, just to make folks aware my import error was indeed addressed very quickly.

Upon reflection for my use scenario Onshape's existing web based, read only link, provides all I need today.  However having watched your webinar I can see for other scenarios you have some useful stuff going on, so I wish you all the best.

Regards,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brian_buxtonbrian_buxton Member Posts: 1
    Both services are very expensive. My tests with ONU were meh, a fairly complex model failed repeatedly to convert to a polygon format. Support was excellent but I was able to do the same conversion with relatively cheap tools in a fraction of the time. OnShape is better, it does what it is supposed to do and has not failed or crashed on me. It has a better user experience than Fusion 360 but the functionality is not a world apart. Why does Onshape cost 5 times as much as Fusion 360? A good answer may persuade me to upgrade from the free account rather than persevere with the Autodesk product.