Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to do a slot inside a frame

Okay so I have a very basic issue but i'm rather new to this software, I wish to do a frame, the sketch (lets assume is top plane) is as such: 2 rectangles one inside the other, the first extrude makes it all expand, lets say .05 the second extrude expands only the perimeter between the two, lets say .1, then I have a rectangle very thin - but halfway between the widths of the two rectangles which comprise the frame borders on the Front Plane.  I wish to subtract to a certain depth out of the middle of the model, however when I draw it on the front plane, it stays directly in the middle of the model and I cannot reposition it toward the edge or offset it (it only moves on the front plane) so I want to subtract so there is as slot visible on one side but not on the other - if I try a blind extrude it will only take 1 side out to the slot, but only starting from the middle, if I do it symmetric I will end up exposing both sides. Is there a simpler way to subtract a slot out of a frame or other object with only 1 extrude from an opening to a specified depth?

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @andrew_kennedy !

Glad you're trying out the software.  There are many ways to do this, but I think the best one for your case may be to just change the plane you're sketching on.

By using the 'mid plane' option of the 'Plane' tool you can create a plane between the inner and outer wall of your frame, and then sketch on that plane.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm

Then, your extrude operation will be simple:

Feel free to copy this document to see how I did this:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bb2e2c93111e81556752568c/w/b714be4654a17696d23cf990/e/26eaedec6828f4e99546d3c9

I've included another tab in the document called 'more complicated' that answers your question in a different way.  Instead of changing the sketch plane, I used the 'up-to-face' and 'offset distance' options in extrude to cut an outer slot from a sketch on the front plane.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    andrew_kennedyandrew_kennedy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Jake, sorry for the late reply I will be sure to get back to you with my results, but I definitely understand!