Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Spline offsets seem to work, then don't

MaxpmMaxpm Member Posts: 4 EDU
edited September 2017 in Community Support
I've used some splines to trace the outline of a logo.  I'd like to offset those splines to create a buffer around the outline.

When previewing the offset, the splines are shown to extend down and to the right until they intersect, which is what I want.  So far, so good.  However, when I confirm the offset:

...Onshape suddenly changes its mind.  What gives?

Interestingly, I can still extrude the outline as faces, and then use the Move Face or Thicken features on that.  But I'd like to stay within the sketch, if I can.

Test document:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bc5c64d7f767fe4cdb13b203/w/be4c0b50a8f320b4fc766bec/e/46a9710dccb2438db8e65fc1

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm this behavior. You can't even do anything with the geometry (like using Extend) untill deleting all relations, which makes it no longer an offset curve. Looks like a bug to me.