Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing gripes

IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
Greetings,
Still learning my way around and just started making mechanical drawings. I have a couple of requests/issues/questions:
  • please make an arrow tool or the ability to put arrowheads on the ends of lines. I often use a single dimension or note with more than one arrow. The only way I've found to make the second arrow is to make an empty note but then I wind up fighting with the leader ends not lining up.
  • Is there any way of locking down the primary view? I have a circular part with a number of features that I wish to dimension radially. When I draw in a vertical or horizontal line and reference my angle dimensions to it, it all works dandy. But then I do something while creating referenced detail or section views that somehow creates a reference error and turns the lines red. I wind up having to delete all the referenced dimensions and do it all over again. Could be I'm being a doofus here but it's happened a couple of times and its not making me happy. Seems like there ought to be a way to fix the view to the drawing or the lines to the view so this doesn't happen

• Is there a way to key in the angle of an angular sectional view? So far I've only been able to set the center point of the sectional view and then have to find something to select on the drawing to create the angle I want. Can't I type it in somewhere?
  • I'd really like to be able to position the dimension text myself. I'm constantly hunting for a spot that the program will allow me to put the text so it's not conflicting with something else. I'd like to be able to control the leader bend position and the note position dependently.
Thanks for listening

Comments

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I am right with you on the last one. There are many times I want to bend a diameter or radius dimension to the right but Onshape will only put it on the left or vice versa.
  • Options
    One other question/suggestion/request: Is there a way to align drawing views on a sheet?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @IsoTherm

Maybe you could use named views? https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-using-named-views-in-onshape
    Not sure if this is what you are requesting.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    ok, one more - are drawing views dynamically linked to the model? I have a series of holes that I dimensioned using the hole callout tool. Then I changed the size of the holes in the model but the drawing doesn't update to reflect it. How do I get the update to occur?
  • Options
    never mind on the last one, thanks