Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude problem: face of sketch only "extrudes" as a plane, not a solid (and not even then)

jascha_narvesonjascha_narveson Member Posts: 3 EDU
edited October 2017 in Community Support
A student of mine used Spline to trace the outline of Michael Jordan in his famous "Air Jordan" logo pose.  She used Spline correctly, and made an enclosed shape in her sketch, but was unable to extrude it - she could only get a raised plane, and not a solid, and the extrude would fail un clicking the confirm button. 

I made a copy and played with it, and can't get it to extrude properly, either.  I'm attaching an annotated screenshot, in case anyone's interested to see what I'm talking about.

Any ideas?  Here's a link to the actual document - make a copy and try extruding if you can!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/98641057b9267f77b57d8c80/w/f97d84d3ea685137a5096a7b/e/970d8473d275deb335125c07

cheers,

- jascha

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    Hey jascha - 
    This does look like a bug on our side. We would have to investigate further.
    The "raised plane" is the preview and not the result of the extrude, which as you said should've been a solid.
    I suspect something is not quite right with the spline. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    jascha_narvesonjascha_narveson Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Hi, Elif -

Yeah - further playing around revealed that if I segmented the shape using the Line Tool, I could extrude most of it save for the right hand and foot, so something's not quite right with the spline outline at those points, though I can't tell what it is...

Thanks for the reply!

cheers,

j