Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I connect two lines on different planes?

jared_maughanjared_maughan Member Posts: 2
I'm feeling like an idiot!  I've drawn two rectangles.  One is on the front plane with the bottom left corner starting at the origin.  The second rectangle is on a plane offset from the front plane by 1 in.  The bottom left corner of this rectangle also starts in-line with the origin.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to draw a line between the two bottom left corners.  I've watched countless youtube videos and can't figure it out.  Please give me step by step instructions.  Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @jared_maughan ,

There are a couple options:

1) Start a sketch on the Top plane.  'Use' the two points you are concerned with to bring them into the sketch.  Connect them with a line.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-use.htm

2) Use a 'Bridging curve' feature with 'match position' option (instead of 'match tangency'), select one point as the 'first side' and the other point as the 'second side'
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/bridgingcurve.htm

What kind of geometry are you trying to create?  Sketching between two profiles should not usually be required when creating simple solids.

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    caleb_b2caleb_b2 Member Posts: 2
    Bridging curve worked for me, Not sure how to extrude to connect them though.. also realizing how old this post is but if it helps someone new, try option 2 if you're connecting 2 sections together from different planes.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    caleb_b2 said:
    Bridging curve worked for me, Not sure how to extrude to connect them though.. also realizing how old this post is but if it helps someone new, try option 2 if you're connecting 2 sections together from different planes.
    If you are trying to "extrude to connect them", it sounds like you want to use the "loft" feature (and you don't need the bridging curve as noted in the original answer).