Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Interference Accounting in Onshape?

bill_woodbill_wood Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Ok, thank you all in advance for putting up with my silly questions.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/46bab87946ec082d60a3f35f/w/131d18edad74e21d209d11f6/e/326f8dc87fd409e461308bee

In this drawing a sphere has two perpendicular, aligned holes. An extruded rod is added to one hole using a slider mate. It slides perfectly. In reality, a second extruded rod could not be slid through the perpendicular hole, because the first extruded rod is physically blocking the hole....However, Onshape allows me to add a slider mate on the second as well, and create an impossible scenario.

Is this a downfall in Onshape? or is there a setting or procedure I am missing.

Thank you!!

Bill

Comments

• Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO
    edited October 2017
    I think almost every CAD system would allow you to create parts which are interfering. The mates are not checking if there is a collision.
    This is something the user should check if it makes sense. But you are right, it would be nice if Onshape warns a user when there is a interference! You can easily see a collision by activation a section view.

By the way you are missing some constraints in the first sketch. You could also reuse the center point of the sphere in the second sketch. And if you make a feature patter of the first hole, you can easily create the four holes in the sphere. 
  • Options
    bill_woodbill_wood Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    That makes a lot of sense @sebastian_glanzner. I just starting using OS recently, and am just in the learning stages...but it is nice to have so many helpful people in this forum. Thanks again, I will check into your suggestions.