Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

automatic part alignment according to thickness.

3d.23d.2 Member Posts: 11 PRO
as someone who works with mdf and chipboard panels that are cut on a cnc i have found a lack of usefull tools or apps for turning an assembled project into workable vector files.
what i think would be an easy solution is creating a tool that takes all parts with a constant thickness of X and creates another assembly where the parts are assembled with the x value in the z axis. this allows me to create a drawing from the top, scaled 1:1 and export it as a dxf , giving me lines that are easy to work on further.
so far the apps offered in the app store require prior preparation of the assembly and often give files that are hard to work with.

possible additions would be:
Adding part name on or next to the parts. (single line fonts would allow parts to get engraved with a part number)
If a part is used more than once, the parts show up in groups.
Separation by color so for example 18mm thick mdf can be separated from 18mm thick chipboard, by editing appearance before using the tool.
Minimum distance between parts after alignment.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @3d.2 !

Check out this awesome custom feature created by someone in our community:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3910/auto-layout-feature

If you've never used a custom feature, see the "Start using custom features" section of this page:
    https://www.onshape.com/featurescript

It doesn't have sorting by color or automatic addition of part names, but it will lay our your part studio by thickness and allow you to choose minimum distance.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    3d.23d.2 Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Hi @3d.2 !

Check out this awesome custom feature created by someone in our community:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3910/auto-layout-feature

If you've never used a custom feature, see the "Start using custom features" section of this page:
    https://www.onshape.com/featurescript

It doesn't have sorting by color or automatic addition of part names, but it will lay our your part studio by thickness and allow you to choose minimum distance.
    thank you. it works perfectly for what its meant for,
    unfortunately you have to use it in the part studio, meaning if you have duplicate parts in the assembly it will give you only one.
    drawing or duplicating parts is a workaround but creates a cluttered screen and part list.

is there a way to use a feature script in an assembly?
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2017
    3d.2 said:

unfortunately you have to use it in the part studio, meaning if you have duplicate parts in the assembly it will give you only one.
    drawing or duplicating parts is a workaround but creates a cluttered screen and part list.

is there a way to use a feature script in an assembly?
    Forgive me sticking my nose in.

You can't use FS in an Assy today, but I believe you'll get the result you need with this:-
    (1) Do an "In Context Edit" in your assembly to create a new PS with all your parts seen ghosted.
    (2) Perform a "Transform - Copy In Place" of the parts you're interested in.
    (3) Run the FS as above.

Hope that works!

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd