Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Filleting threads

Hello, 

I made threads on a cylindrical surface by doing a sweep across a helical curve (photo attached). I'm trying to fillet the inner edge of the thread (highlighted) but it doesn't seem to work out. I've tried reducing the radius of the fillet to a very small amount as well. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a OnShape equivalent of a face fillet that's found in SolidWorks? 

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    JDesiletsJDesilets Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Have you tried using the custom feature for creating threads? 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f

This tool might be easier for you to build a thread.  

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would use the FS if possible, but another option is to just build the fillet into the thread profile.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    COUNTERPOINT - PLEASE DON'T MODEL THREADS!!!!!
    I spend several hours a week defeaturing customer documents that contain hundreds of fasteners with threads, fillets, text and knurls.
    If you download a fastener (eg from McMasterCarr) - step 1 is to delete the threads (and put it in it's OWN standard parts doc).

A SHCS should be two cylinders - that's it!
    If you beg me, i will let you put the socket on the head (no fillets!) :)

If the thread is functional and you need to 3D print it - thats fine, but once you have exported the STL file, suppress the threads.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you tell us how your really feel, @philip_thomas ;)