Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problem with loft in armchair model

Marta_MilewczykMarta_Milewczyk Member Posts: 3
edited November 2017 in Using Onshape
Hello everyone!

I am trying to make model of armchair with using loft. I looked video in onshape tutorials but my loft does not want to generate. I think this is problem with sketch, but I am not able to identify problem.

Here is my model and photo with armchair that I would like to obtain. I have two profiles and projected curve for using as a guide but my loft fails if I want to use projected curve. Do you have any idea how to make this seat? I would appreciate your help.

Here is link to my document https://cad.onshape.com/documents/140f204e6d2fe9684642f1e7/w/647aa1ceed274d1f1cff4bef/e/2fa84e8d88b81337e78f771f

Comments

• noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    edited November 2017
    @Marta_Milewczyk are you able to make your document public and post a link to it here? It will make it very easy for the Onshape community to help troubleshoot.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    I took a look and you seem to be trying to loft from the back to the front of the seat and then trim away to get the sides to look correct, but this will not give you the correct shape. It would be better if you lofted the edges of the seat and then used surface fills to build the shape.

Take a look at this sample model of the seat base https://cad.onshape.com/documents/947de2ceb5c7db512ce8dd54/w/20f313a4e1404a47fc55dcbe/e/636c3abe0ba57d3148f44cdc

Note that I modelled half of the shape and then mirrored it which can be a better approach for symmetric parts as you have to pick fewer entities to create the loft.

Andy
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • Marta_MilewczykMarta_Milewczyk Member Posts: 3
    Andy thank you for your great help and sacrificing your time! I will try as you described. Regards