Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude Remove Leaves a Shell, or a Face, of the Part that was There

AnOnshapeUserAnOnshapeUser Member Posts: 6
edited November 2017 in Community Support
I extrude to remove part of a piece, but Onshape fails to extrude one side of the shell of the part I was extruding.  This has happened twice now.  Once I got it to work by extruding to 'add' material, then I removed it all plus what I wanted.  This time that trick does not work.

Any ideas for how to fix this?
thx

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    If you share a link to your document we can take a look. Right now it just looks like one surface is not exactly normal to your sketch plane, or the inner arc in your sketch isn't exactly overlapping the model edge. I can't tell without seeing the model. Instead of relying on your sketch being the exact size of your desired geometry, it's good practice to overbuild the sketch to make sure it catches all the geometry that needs to be removed. In this case, you can make the inner arc radius smaller and the outer arc radius larger. I hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 697
    edited November 2017
    This looks like a misalignment between the curve of the sketch and the geometry of the solid.  is sketch curve created by using geometry? The most reliable way to get the cut you want is here
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @lana Wow!  What CAD magic is going on there?  You made the sketch on face added two lines and then the face is split when selecting in Extrude!?!

I was not aware this is possible.  I thought had to copy curves with Use command.  Is this method described in help?     B)
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 697
    @bruce_williams
    Onshape is like that :) .
    It is a little difficult to notice, but sketch using a model face to define sketch plane imprints this face on sketch plane.
  • Options
    AnOnshapeUserAnOnshapeUser Member Posts: 6
    Got.  Both right.  Thx everybody!
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lana Wow!  What CAD magic is going on there?  You made the sketch on face added two lines and then the face is split when selecting in Extrude!?!

I was not aware this is possible.  I thought had to copy curves with Use command.  Is this method described in help?     B)
    Implied profiles is one area that OS has a distinct advantage over other CAD.