Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using previous sketch to define/constrain another..

steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
Can I specify a sketch (earlier up in the tree) for use in defining or constraining another sketch?  For example "sketch 1", make an hexagon with a circle in the middle, extrude it (a simple hex nut solid) and then create another "sketch 2" that references the circle (bore)?

can't seem to find this..

thanks!

~Steve

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    steve_maietta I do this all the time, Just make the sketch visible and simply constrain the geometry from one sketch to the geometry on the other. 
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Yes, you can use external geometry including other sketches to constrain sketches.  The constraints and dimensions will have to be manually applied though.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Hmmm..  I tried highlighting the Sketch 1 and using it but it wouldn't actually constrain..  Is there some buttons to specify a constraint?
  • Options
    Thanks, I saw the constraint buttons but didn't know how to use them..  This clears it up!

• Options
    Got it working..   Now, is there a way to copy sketch geometry and "paste" it into another sketch?  
  • Options
    Gents, the tool for this is the "Use" tool in the sketching menu.  Perfect solution answers all my questions.