Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Union with variable (unknown) number of parts for automatic fence construction

wolfgang_maierwolfgang_maier Member Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
Hello,

i want to construct fence elements with parametric number/size of fence posts.
What i do:
- define the size of the fence/fence posts/gaps (with variables)
- the number of fence posts/gaps is calculated (based on the values in the variables)
- the fence is then constructed with linear part pattern (based on the values in the variables)

Problem:
linear part pattern 'produces' several parts.
I need to union these parts into 1 part, to have only 1 part represetiung my fence (for export).
Part1, Part2, Part3...Partx -> Part1

so howto union an unknown/variable number of parts?

regards
Wolfgang

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited November 2017
    @wolfgang_maier

You can use the "Add" option at the top of linear pattern and either use "Merge with all" or set your "merge scope" to Part 1.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    @Jake_Rosenfeld's suggestion is probably best. If your seeds are separt parts, you'll still need a Boolean to join the seeds. It's probably simpler to do this before the pattern.

Worst case, if you have some crazy pattern scheme with multiple patterns creating bodies that don't touch until the last pattern, you can fake in a variable number of parts to the Boolean command. Just create your pattern with as many parts as you think will ever be made. Then apply the Boolean union to those parts. Now, if you change the pattern count, the union will still work as long as you don't create more instances than that max. See my link below. If you change the PatternCount variable to anything up to 100, you're good. If you go over, then the last instances aren't joined to the rest.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/f58d13a408bee333506c2ccc
  • wolfgang_maierwolfgang_maier Member Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    Hello Jake, Mahir,

thank you for your support.
    Jake's solution is so obvious, i should have found it by myself :(
    Only with exactly reading the documentation of linear pattern...

Wolfgam