Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

make sketch "split" tool more like "trim" tool

123_456660123_456660 Member Posts: 31 EDU
edited December 2017 in Product Feedback
can you make the split tool in sketching more like the trim tool (in terms of ui)?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @123_456660 !

Could you elaborate on the difference in the two tools that you are funding unintuitive?

Thanks!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    maybe I'm not using the tool correctly, but I find that the snapping is a bit off. If I'm correct, the split tool is just like the trim tool, but it "cuts" a line, or curve, at 2 points (useful if there are things dimensioned to the would-be-trimmed entity). It is just not as easy to select entities between 2 points.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I believe the difference is the trim tool will auto select the inferred points, where as the split has the option to either infer a point or accept the current mouse pointer location.  So the behavior is intended to be different.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @owen_sparks so  how would i split the line contained between 2 points?
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Just hover over the line (which will then be highlighted) and click where on the line you require the split.  If you need precision then you can add a dimension or constraint to position the split exactly where you want it.

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd