Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

100 Drawings: Introduction for new cad users

c_fieldsc_fields Member Posts: 9
I'm making a bit of a crash course in mechanical CAD drafting, inspired by a book recommendation by @bradley_sauln.

Of the 100 exercises in the slide deck, 68 are now in Onshape, and available for all to deconstruct and work with by copying the following Onshape document

Furthermore I'm creating a youtube video series starting with the basics at first.  Any comments or suggestions for the next video will be considered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoUmWlFnw4I

Comments

• Options
    FYI the set of 100 problems are complete now.

I have a series of recorded videos on creating some of the later parts.  In the process of editing everything; definitely more time intensive then I expected.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @c_fields
    Your sweep video is very good.  You have a good process and keep it to the point.  Nice short 'bite sized' length also.  

A couple questions-
    1) What do you think of the 100 Exercises?  how did you handle the mistakes and missing dimensions?   I am almost done with them - I added comments to my OS and scaled when necessary.
    2) How do you get your links to show like that  ("Onshape document")?

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @bruce_williams

Thanks, I think for the future I'll aim to keep the explanation to cad functionality, leaving description(s) of the sketch out so that things are more concise

Let's see, I think the 100 exercises was a worthwhile pursuit.  Similar to exercises I had completed in CAD drawing courses for my Mechie degree.  I think the real value from creating the parts is it really reinforces using Onshape's constraints.  

Taking the content a step further would be version the parts; one version would be the part made from sketches; the second version would be the part made from any/all onshape efficiencies (making use of features and patterns).

Linking is easy, the boxed icon!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/13d7b5e0a6355bfdd13c6704/w/d271d05ba9a8b6e4701084f2/e/e89c134b3651e472153417f6

Thanks for the tip.  So I copy the url from browser, hit that link icon and paste in.  I am testing as the preview looks like the full url.    Sorry to hijack your thread here...

Edit - I am not getting that to work.  Here are some screen shots.  What am I doing wrong?

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Hmm, try typing out some text, select that, then click the icon for the link and enter the URL.

Hmm, try 
  • Options
    brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    c_fields said:

...Taking the content a step further would be version the parts; one version would be the part made from sketches; the second version would be the part made from any/all onshape efficiencies (making use of features and patterns).
    I have started doing exactly this with your excellent document as I improve my understanding of CAD and Onshape. In the excellent Onshape tutorials the importance of ensuring that sketches are fully constrained in order to avoid pitfalls down the line is often stressed and this is the first thing I am dealing with in my versions. I also note that you use holes quite a lot where extruded removes are more efficient according to the information behind the clock icon. Great work. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Test 2 of the text link.  Example of tangent to a curve

That was the answer - highlight intended text then hit link icon and enter url.  Thank you @c_fields!!   :)
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    @c_fields the link "Onshape document" in the original message in this thread seems to be broken. https’s server DNS address could not be found.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @c_fields
    When I click the link in your original post it goes to:
    https//cad.onshape.com/documents/b6cbaa59242f3c51864a0765/w/bfab32f926a73ae069c25899/e/e18fe2b862392bef94ca50a2

for some reason...
    (notice there's no colon after the https)

Nice work!!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    c_fields said:
    Maybe I originally got the document from a link in the thread where you posted first and discovered the broken link only when I tried to get it again. Whatever happened I now have the document and am working through it comparing my solutions to yours.
  • Options
    @c_fields
    Again, nice job on your document; it is well organized and covers a lot.  I noticed your sketches are not fully constrained.  What is your thinking on that?

I have been building these but only about 1/2 done.  I am using this link  100 exercises for the drawings.    Here is my document so far -  Bruce Williams attempt at 100 Exercises

The supplied drawings in the 100 Exercises have problems - dimensioned poorly or missing & incorrect dimensions (just like in real life).  I have inserted screen shots on many to help sketch and scale as needed.  You have to do make assumptions to get fully constrained sketches.

I am planning on challenging all our apprentices and journeymen to complete these.  It is great basic practice for a newbie or experienced.  They really stretch sketching skills and give a lot of repetition for muscle memory.

@jake_rosenfeld   thanks for sharing the 100 Exercises link originally!
    www.accuratepattern.com