Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding details to sci-fi models.

angel_urenaangel_urena Member Posts: 2 PRO
Hi, I'm a newbie to onshape and I'm using it for hobby of mine which is creating sci-fi space ships of my own design and 3D printing them.  What is the best way to add detailing to a model (see image below).  For example many sci-fi ships have exterior paneling that give the viewer the impression that certain sections of the panels can be removed for maintenance etc.

So far I've been using the EXTRUDE-REMOVE options to add detailing to the sides of my ships but it's an exceedingly tedious process.  Is there an easier way to do this?

Before you ask... I chose Onshape instead of another 3D modeling program because TinkerCAD isn't as sophisticated as I need and other 3D modeling programs are really expensive.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    michael_watsonmichael_watson Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Nice work. The only other suggestion I would have is for you to use a subD modeling application instead of Onshape - something like silo3d (not free) or Hexagon3d (free) which can give you easier control over your model, especially when it comes to polycount and smoothness,
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several tools you can use depending on what you'd like to accomplish. If you want to add paneling to a flat surface, then Extrude is probably the simplest option. For axisymmetric geometry, Revolve is an option. You can get more complex insets by creating surface patches and using the Thicken command to remove offsets of those surfaces all at once.

If the panel geometry is something that can be boiled down to a programmatic formula, creating a custom FeatureScript might be useful.
  • Options
    Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
    You could create a library of standard detail parts, like the 'nurnies' image you posted, then derive them into the part studio of your design, and use Boolean Add/Remove.